Mango drumstick vatha kuzhambu, puli kuzhambu, an awesome combination to make tamarind based gravy. Step by step pictures full video recipe.
I make vatha kuzhambu always like how my mom makes, adding chopped onion and garlic with some vegetables in a tamarind base. Vj likes poondu kuzhambu, I love adding little chopped garlic and onion along with my favorite veggie brinjal. I like parangikai in my vatha kuzhambu also. But we call this kuzhambu as vatha kuzhambu, may be some of you call it as puli kuzhambu. So this is not made with dried vathal always thought it sounds like that. I very very rarely add dried veg vathal to kuzhambu.
This mango and murungakkai combo is a killer combo, when we make it at home, it smells so good. You can follow the same and prepare with one vegetable instead of both. Either way it will be awesome.
Singapore readers and friends, you can order all the ingredients for this recipe through Pushcart now and make this tomorrow for lunch. Order online through Pushcart.com.sg website or download Pushcart app.
Step by step pictures:
- Soak tamarind in hot water for 30 mins and extract the juice. Make it 3 cups by adding more water.
- Boil 2 inch cut drumstick in a cup of water for 4-5 mins. Meanwhile, heat a kadai, temper with the items given under ‘To temper’.
- Add finely chopped garlic (I used small variety) and onion (small onion/ shallots). Fry till golden in colour here and there.
- Add it to the boiling drumstick along with the tamarind extract.
- Sambar powder, turmeric and salt goes in. Boil for 4 mins furthermore.
- Add mango cut into 6 as shown in the picture here. Boil for 4 mins or until the pulp turns soft.
- Pour rice flour dissolved in a tbsp of water to the boiling kuzhambu. Add jaggery and mix well. Continue boiling for 2 mins. Switch off the stove, add few torn curry leaves.
Serve with rice and a kootu best pair. Top with sesame oil or ghee while mixing with rice.
Source : rakskitchen.net