Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken is a super easy meal with an amazing sweet and savory sauce with a little bit of heat! This is way better than takeout!
(Picture update 4/22/17)
I made this recipe four years ago and the pictures weren’t doing it justice. We love asian inspired meals here at our family so of course this was one of the first recipes to make its debut on the blog. We have it quite often at our house and it is incredible. I love being able to make better than takeout right at home!
It was time to update the pictures on here and my family was reminded about how much we love it. Everyone devoured it including my youngest two year old.
You start by adding a simple breading to the outside and pan frying the edges for just a few minutes. This is an extra step that of course you don’t have to do, but I love the crispy edge and tender and juicy center by doing that extra step. If you want to just dump the chicken in with the sauce and let it do its thing you can as well.
The rich and dark sauce in this meal is incredible. It is sweet and savory with just a little bit of heat. I always have to hold out the red pepper flakes until the end just for my kiddos, but it has such incredible flavor. The sauce is thick on the chicken and it is perfect served over rice with some veggies.
I know this is a meal that your family is going to love! You will make it again and again.
Watch a video on how to make Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken here:
Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into one inch cubes
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 T soy sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ tsp dry ginger
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper (more or less to liking)
- Optional garnish, green onions, sesame seeds, additional red pepper flakes
- In amixing bowl add the chicken and cornstarch. Toss until the chicken is completely coated in the cornstarch. In a medium sized skillet over medium high heat add oil and cook the chicken until the chicken is lightly brown but not cooked throughout. Put in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together hoisin sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, ginger and crushed red pepper. Pour on top of chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low heat for 3-4 hours or until chicken is cooked throughout. *see note
- Serve over rice and garnish with green onions, sesame seeds and red pepper flakes if desired.
Alyssa Also Recommends:
Want to make this even easier? Here are a few products that I LOVE:
•Utopia Kitchen Cooking Knives
•Finedine Mixing Bowls
This was the old picture. Wasn’t too awful compared to some but I didn’t even spell Tso’s right! haha
I am Alyssa and the blogger behind The Recipe Critic. I started my blog in June of 2012 as a place to share my passion for cooking. I love trying new things and testing them out with my family.
Read More Posts By Alyssa
Source : therecipecritic